Friday, June 20, 2008

Mind Decompression Part 2: Yay for Ikea!

As I watched in sadness the elimination game of Sweden in the Euro Cup 2008 this last week, I thought I would highlight one of the important things that we, in the United States, receive from the Swedes: Ikea. For those who have never heard of Ikea, it's a huge 2-story home furnishings store that is complete with cafeteria, day care center, a "bistro", and a small food market where one can buy food products from Sweden. Though some of their European fashion designs are a little out of my field, their prices are a bit hard to beat. It is one of the few stores (other than book, music and recreational/outdoor equipment stores) that is hard for me to spend less than an hour in; and this is from someone who avoids malls and weekends at Walmart at all costs. I may not be the typical girl because I really do dislike shopping very much (and I would never, ever expect a boyfriend/husband to accompany me to share in the torture of clothes shopping with its sensory-overloading and crowed environment). Nevertheless, if I have an excuse to go to Ikea, well then...

My excuse came a couple weeks ago as I was coming back from an interview. Ikea is about 35 minutes away from where I live, but since it was on the way home, I thought I would stop and get the lingonberry jam that I had been craving for weeks. It's soo good on toast - such a simple pleasure. I meandered around the showroom floor that includes exhibits on how to live in a 400 square foot apartment with style. Since it was lunch time, I did grab a cheap lunch for under five dollar that included a slice of this great swedish chocolate cake. Not too much time later, I saw it... something I haven't seen in five years... a six-pack set of them...dessert spoons!! I fell in love with dessert spoons when I was in Argentina and vowed that I would someday have a set. They're just a smaller version of typical spoons, but for some unknown reason, I think they're great! I didn't buy the set that day, although I think it was under $7, but I figured I'll return soon once I get a paycheck. Until then, I shall enjoy my lingonberry jam on toast. I will be back Ikea, oh yes, I will be back...
Oh, and their yearly catalog is due out at the end of this month, what joy fills my heart...

No comments: